Giovanni Maria dalle Piane was born in Genoa in 1660 and died in Monticelli d'Ongina on 28 June 1745. He was a pupil of G.B. Merano in Genoa from 1670 to 1676. Next he continued his studies in Rome from 1676 to 1684 in the school of G.B. Gaulli. Returning to Genoa in 1684, he began to carry out an intense activity as a portraitist. In 1695 he was called to Parma by Duke Francesco. Later he returned to Parma and Piacenza, on two other occasions, in 1698 and in 1706. In 1708 he was active in Milan, invited to make the portrait of Elisabetta Cristina of Wolfenbüttel. In 1709 he made the equestrian portrait of Prince Antonio Farnese who named him court painter. From 1730 to 1741 he was named court painter of Charles of Bourbon in Naples. The portraits by dalle Piane, painted with nervous brushstrokes and characterized by the wide swaying of decorative curtains and exuberant draperies, clearly show the influence of contemporary French and English portraitists. Among his paintings of religious subject, remarkable, in Genoa, the Guardian Angel in the church of S.M. Lauretana and St. Catherine in the oratory of the Stigmata of St. Francis; the Madonna and Child in the cathedral of Parma; S. Francesca Romana in the church of S. Antonio in Piacenza.